Monday, September 27, 2010

Good campground Bad campground

I was excited to be heading for West Virginia to visit my three children who all live together. In the area they live there is slim and none as for choice of RV parks so we decided on Tygart Lake State Park in Grafton about 30 miles away. After all, our first state park stay in Kentucky was a pleasure. Well as we got closer and the roads got smaller and the trees thicker we thought we might be in trouble here.Long story short I squeezed our almost 40 foot trailer in a spot designed for a 30 footer. All the other campers and even the camp host could not believe they would even tell me they had enough room. Couldn't get level,no tv,and no wi-fi was a real bad start to the week. The park was beautiful but set up for primitive camping with a little weekend camper. I drove into town to see my kids and try to find some place to park our trailer for the rest of the week.We finally found a nice place in Elkins,West Virginia even though it was a longer drive from their house. After three days in the woods we got moved back into civilization at a very unique farmers field converted to a nice campground by a couple I think were 1960's flower children. Very nice people though.If you are ever near Elkins, West Virginia I recommend Pegasus Farm Campground. Pictures of Pegasus Farms are of everything but actual RV sites which I somehow failed to get but they are large,level and modern full hookups.


Tight Quarters Tygart Lake State Park





Hospitality House outside and inside Pegasus Farms





Old tractor by nice shower house

Grafitti Back Hoe



Old 'Hippie' bus you can rent


Civil War Graveyard on farm

My main reason to be here though was to spend time with my children whom I haven't seen in 5 years. They are all Adults now(Dang I'm getting old !) so it was kinda nice just to set around and visit and hang out and not have to worry about going places and seeing things. I will not let it be this long between visits any more.Lindsey,Jay and Tony- I had a great time sharing the family heirlooms and photo's I gave you and seeing you enjoy the old photo's. And yes- I am now back on my diet after our homemade suppers. See you again.

We are now in Mt. Airy, North Carolina at Mayberry Campground.This is the hometown of Andy Griffith and has a lot of Mayberry themed attractions. We will be spending some time in the area between here and Charlotte to visit some historical sites and for me to get my NASCAR fix. Photo's and updates to come.Chasing A Rainbow.

1 comment:

  1. When we left NJ four weeks ago, we planned 3 nights on the road between there and NC. I had thought about spending a couple of days in WV. However, I just could not find an RV park that we could get into anywhere near where we wanted to be. I gave up.

    Glad you had better luck.

    ReplyDelete